The Home SMS is a service that allows Telkom customers to send and receive SMS text messages using their landlines. A special fixed line telephone with SMS capability is required that allows for text messages to be created and sent or received and viewed.
CLI or IdentiCall is required to ensure that text messages are differentiated from normal voice calls and delivered correctly to receiving telephones. The Telkom user will send and receive text messages in much the same way as on a mobile telephone.
The Home SMS has the following features:
- Text messaging between SMS compatible Telkom home phones (160 characters)
- Text converted to Voice message for non-SMS compatible home phones
- Text messaging between Telkom and participating mobile networks
- Delivery Notification (per message sent or permanently on/off)
- SMS mailboxes for private text messaging (on selected CPE)
- Deferred Delivery of text messages
- Multifunctional CPE includes CLI, Phone Address Books, Message Inbox and Outbox, etc
The HomeSMS offers the following benefits:
- Always available fixed line for sending and receiving messages
- Convenient alternative to mobile text messaging
- ALL Telkom customers are part of the SMS community via Voice SMS from any Telkom phone or any participating mobile phone.
Telkom's Standard Terms and Conditions Apply
Home SMS Terms and Conditions
- SMS can only be provided on direct, single-lines and to Residential or Business customers who have an existing service with Telkom
- Telkom Prepaid customers are excluded from the SMS service and may not have SMS activated on their lines
- The telephone number that you rent in the other city/town must be connected to an electronic/digital telephone exchange
- IdentiCall is a prerequisite for the activation of SMS. IdentiCall is a subscribed service that allows you to view the originating number of an incoming call. The SMS service will not function correctly without IdentiCall
- Exchange restrictions apply as per the IdentiCall service. If the exchange that is serving a customer does not support the IdentiCall service then, SMS may not be activated either
- Currently you cannot receive OR send an SMS message from abroad i.e. International SMS
- Currently you cannot send SMS to a premium rated service
- Only English is supported at present but the system does accommodate SMS abbreviations and smiley’s.
You can find detailed price information on all of our offerings here:
View Telkom Tariff