Telkom's delivers seamless, high-quality video and associated audio services. Point-to-point and point-to-multipoint services are provided through our national and international networks, both analogue and digital. News, sport and entertainment program can be sent and received from around the world via Telkom's infrastructure.
Telkom operates four dedicated Transmit and Receive Occasional Use video antennae, which are situated outside Pretoria. Telkom also has a new digital antenna situated at Crowthorne near Midrand. Teleport facilities are available in Johannesburg and Cape Town and offer additional flexibility.
- Freedom from the limitations of terrestrial infrastructure and universal access to any location on the planet;
- Telkom's earth station at Hartebeeshoek provides continuous and instant access to a global network of state-of-the-art satellite technology;
- Satellite services provide high-quality, cost-effective data and voice communications throughout Africa and the world;
- Temporary voice-grade audio circuits: Used by licensed broadcasters and news agencies such as Reuters, and occasionally to provide emergency restoration of broadcast distribution services;
- Temporary ISDN-based high-quality audio circuits: Many broadcasters now use ISDN with special audio codes (provision of ISDN is subject to availability);
- Video services: Used exclusively by broadcasters, news agencies and suppliers of broadcasting services;
- Contribution point-to-point circuits convey television signals from a mobile studio or outside venue to a production house or studio;
- Distribution circuits transfer television programmes to terrestrial television transmitters or satellite distribution head ends;
- High-quality audio circuits (15kHz): Used by commercial and community radio broadcasters (community radio licenses are issued by the Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA) on a permanent basis;
- Voice-grade audio circuits (3.4 kHz): Usually used for commentary and co-ordination purposes at sports and similar events;
- Occasional use satellite television transmission: Incoming and outgoing television feeds are supplied on an ad hoc basis for the relay of news or sports events. Turnaround facilities and dedicated teleports are also available. The service includes the space segment and the ground segment, whether packaged or unbundled;
- Satellite News Gathering (SNG): Allows Telkom to transmit news, special events, emergencies and business television to/from isolated locations within South Africa and Africa. Can be provided in either Ku-band or C-band capacity or in an analogue or digital format;
- Satellite transponder leases: Dedicated satellite capacity is available on a long- or short-term basis, with flexible and cost-effective solutions tailored to meet your specific needs;
- Audio circuits: Co-ordination, narrow and wide band circuits are offered to/from any point within South Africa to/from the rest of the world. Two-wire, four-wire, high-quality and stereo links are available on request;
- Opticonnect: Under a contract between Telkom and Newsforce, an international feed point (play-out facility) at Richmond, Johannesburg, provides an optical-fibre link connecting directly to the international gateway and the Pretoria earth station;
- Special events section: Telkom's special events section manages temporary telecommunications and information services for major events from start to finish, at the request of event organisers, including event-specific solutions catering for a full range of value-added services;
- Telephony, data and broadcasting services;
- Video and high-quality audio services (occasional-use satellite, microwave-linking and terrestrial services);
- ISDN audio codes;
- Telephone and fax bureau services, with easy cash or credit card payment systems;
- Internet services such as websites, hosting, e-mail and dial-up access;
- Local and wide-area networks (both cable and radio based).